In each decade of our profession’s young history, there have been one or two products that cast a long shadow across the EMS landscape.
I’ve made a list of the dozen that I think have had the biggest impact on our industry. All of these products or their direct descendants are still being manufactured today. That says a lot about their longevity and acceptance by EMS professionals across America. So, without further ado, the 12 Most Important Products in the short History of EMS:
1. The Resusci Anne from Laerdal Medical.
2. The Hare Traction splint
3. The Kendrick Extrication Device or KED
4. The Laerdal Pocket Mask
5. The Laerdal Stifneck Extrication Collar
6. The Ferno 35-A Mobile Transporter ambulance stretcher
7. The Physio-Control Lifepak 5
8. The Nonin 8500 Pulse Oximeter
9. The ProLite Long Spineboard
10. The Phillips Hearstart AED
11. The Stryker Power-PRO ambulance stretcher
12. The Ambu Bag or AmbuSpur disposable BVM